HONOLULU (KHON2) — Honolulu Ocean Safety officials rescued and revived a 27-year-old visitor at Sandy Beach who was taken under by the surf on June 19.
At around 12:40 p.m., lifeguards responded to the man who had not resurfaced after going under the waves. The man was brought to the beach by officials, where he did not have a pulse.
First responders were able to begin CPR, which led to the man regaining his pulse; and he was able to breathe on his own. Honolulu Emergency Medical Services was then able to take over, providing advanced life support.
The man was transported to the hospital in critical condition.
Earlier in the day, at around 11 a.m., Sandy Beach lifeguards rescued a 25-year-old woman who was struggling to swim back to shore after swallowing water and experiencing exhaustion, officials said.
Lifeguards were able to administer treatment, and the woman ultimately declined further medical assistance after assessment.
All beachgoers should ensure with lifeguards the safety of the water, officials said. During the rescues, the waves were six to 10 feet tall.
